HomeAboutEventsTweetHizTempleContactContact

Friday, April 5, 2013

I've Fallen...Can I Get Back Up? (Today's Post)


Many remember the commercial where the elderly woman says, “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.” That commercial was promoting a safety device that persons of a certain age or who had physical limitations could wear to ensure their security and independence. The commercial shows how when the woman uses the device to alert the call center that she has in fact fallen and is unable to get up, an emergency team is dispatched and quickly comes to her aid and assistance. She is eventually okay and able to return to her independent and self-sufficient reality.

Not unlike that commercial, God has provided those who profess to know Him and confess their sins to Him, a similar aid of assistance by way of Jesus Christ. Paul shares in Roman 7:21-24 (MSG), “It happens so regularly that it’s predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God’s commands, but it’s pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge. I’ve tried everything and nothing helps. I’m at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn’t that my real question?”

However, in verse 25 we find our life line, our “device” that alerts our “call center” that we need help. “The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to something totally different.”

The way to activate the device, is by confessing our sins to the Lord, as 1 John 1: 9 (NIV) states, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”
 
The point is, we all have and will fall, time after time after time. God knew this the minute sin entered the world through the actions of Adam and Eve. Oh, but the glory and praise break is that when God gave us His son Jesus Christ who lived, died and rose for all of our sins, He supplied us with our own “device” with clear instructions (the Bible) of how we can get up from our fallen state and continue to walk and live not independent of Him, but rather dependent of Him. It is by releasing our independence to Jesus that we are free to live a life of pure joy and peace. Separate from Jesus, we are prisoners to our sins and will live a life without joy or peace.

All we have to do when we fall is confess and surrender. Jesus will act and set things right and help us get up and walk forward in faith.

Walk in faith. Live in love. #joinme



(Originally written by Monica Wood aka MoWood 8-4-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment