HomeAboutEventsTweetHizTempleContactContact

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Today's MoMoments: Season and Timing

Today, the words season and timing are running through my spirit. This weekend stands as the unofficial start of the Summer season. Its a season normally where things bloom, blossom and bear fruit. This time of year is captured on our calendar, the Gregorian Calendar or Civil Calendar (Months/Number of Days). 



This calendar helps us stay on a corporate schedule, which is important. However, it is not the only calendar that tends to get our focus or where we create our schedule (both personal and professional). Many, if not most, also pay attention to a calendar that has either been thrusted upon us by society or family standards or even by our personal timeline or a plain spirit of comparison/competition. You know that calendar, it gives the unofficial timing for when you should be married; when you should have children; when you should start or complete that degree (high school, college or advanced); when you should get the first job; when you should retire; and I could go on. I have no clue of the origin of this type of calendar, but I know its roots run deep and its impact/influence both good and bad are always present. And, unlike the Gregorian Calendar, where the months and days will never change or have an impact, except for that one additional day that comes around to sync up our seasonal year (called Leap Year), this calendar comes with some unrealistic pressures, expectations and a whole lot of self-defined/created judgement. Let me make it plainer, "I am 30 and I thought by now I would have been married like my girlfriends" or, "I had to start working right after high school to support my mother and now I'm 45, its too late to go to college" or, "Isn't 60 too old to start a business? I should be planning for retirement." Again, I could go on. 

The question I pose both to myself and society is, who made us timekeeper? Why has such a calendar become so important, that we find ourselves sometimes passing judgement, feeling disdain, giving pity, having envy or struggling with jealousy? God shares, throughout the Bible, where men and women accomplished much in various seasons of their lives. A nation was birthed through Abraham and Sarah who became parents way after "child-bearing" years. David was able to kill Goliath as a teenage boy when grown men failed to do so. The woman at the well became an evangelist after having committed adultery and having a questionable past. And, again, I could go on. Their seasons were not dictated upon an astronomical calendar. The timing of their great moment or fulfilled purpose and promises didn't occur based on when man or even themselves believed it should happen. 



Both season and time was determined by God and for God's purpose and plan, not just for them in that moment but for the world in moments yet to come. So, I challenge each of us to pay attention to the month and date solely for corporate order, but don't focus on it or the one man tries to hold us to with the same respect. You know, that calendar that seeks to determine where we should be in life, what we should be doing with our lives, how far we should have gone in our lives, or any other man-made or self-made pressures, expectations and judgements. God has a special season in each of our lives and His timing is never unofficial or needing an extra day to sync up. It's always officially on time and syncs up for the right season and reason. 

#TodaysMoMoments

No comments:

Post a Comment